[Python-Dev] PEP 384 status

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Aug 30 16:30:13 CEST 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 07:31 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Since part of the point of PEP 384 is to support multiple versions of the C
>runtime in a single process

Is it?  That's certainly not explicit in the Rationale section of PEP 384.

It seems to me that the PEP is all about inoculating extension builders from
changes in Python's ABI across Python versions.  That's a worthy goal.  I'm
not sure the same can be said about allowing multiple versions of the C
runtime in a linked process.  But then I'm developing on Windows these days,
and I think for all practical purposes, it's a moot point on *nix.

-Barry