[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 1 00:09:18 CET 2010

Am 30.11.2010 23:43, schrieb Terry Reedy:
> On 11/30/2010 3:23 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> I see no reason not to make a similar promise for numeric literals.  I
>> see no good reason to allow compatibility full-width Japanese "ASCII"
>> numerals or Arabic cursive numerals in "for i in range(...)" for
>> example.
>
> I do not think that anyone, at least not me, has argued for anything
> other than 0-9 digits (or 0-f for hex) in literals in program code. The
> only issue is whether non-programmer *users* should be able to use their
> native digits in applications in response to input prompts.

And here, my observation stands: if they wanted to, they currently
couldn't - at least not for real numbers (and also not for integers
if they want to use grouping). So the presumed application of this
feature doesn't actually work, despite the presence of the feature it
was supposedly meant to enable.

Regards,
Martin