[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:50:47 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
..
> Have you tried Google ?

I tried google at I could not find any plain text or HTML file that
would use Arabic-Indic numerals.  What was interesting, though that a
search for "quran unicode" (without quotes).  Brought me to
http://www.sacred-texts.com which says that they've been using unicode
since 2002 in their archives.  Interestingly enough, their version of
Qur'an uses ordinary digits for ayah numbers.  See, for example
<http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/uq/050.htm>.

I will change my mind on this issue when you present a
machine-readable file with Arabic-Indic numerals and a program capable
of reading it and show that this program uses the same number parsing
algorithm as Python's int() or float().