[Python-Dev] PEP 384 accepted

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 2 23:21:25 CET 2010

Am 02.12.2010 22:54, schrieb Michael Foord:
> On 02/12/2010 21:39, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> I was told not to touch to Distutils code to avoid any regression
>>> since it's patched to the bones in third party products. So we decided
>>> to freeze distutils and add all new features in Distutils2, which is
>>> at alpha stage now.  So this move seems contradictory to me.
>> I think it was a bad decision to freeze distutils, and "we" certainly
>> didn't make that (not any we that includes me, that is). This freeze
>> made the situation worse.
>
> What situation worse?

The "distutils is unmaintained" situation. It's not only unmaintained
now, but proposed improvements are rejected without consideration, on
the grounds that they are changes.

> I would perhaps argue for a case by case exception on PEPs that
> *required* distutils support that are being accepted and implemented
> prior to distutils2 moving into the standard library. It doesn't sound
> like your changes are *required* by the PEP though.

Well, the PEP 384 text in PEP 3149 specifies a change. It's not clear
whether this change was accepted when PEP 3149 was accepted, or whether
it was accepted when PEP 384 was accepted, or whether it was not
accepted at all, or whether it was just proposed.

In any case, without the change, you won't naturally get extension
modules that use the abi3 tag proposed in 3149.

Regards,
Martin