[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Dec 2 23:43:12 CET 2010

Eric Smith wrote:
>> The current behavior should go nowhere; it is not useful. Something very
>> similar to the current behavior (but done correctly) should go into the
>> locale module.
>
> I agree with everything Martin says here. I think the basic premise is:
> you won't find strings "in the wild" that use non-ASCII digits but do
> use the ASCII dot as a decimal point. And that's what float() is looking
> for. (And that doesn't even begin to address what it expects for an
> exponent 'e'.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark

"In China, comma and space are used to mark digit groups because dot is used as decimal mark."

Note that float() can also parse integers, it just returns them as
floats :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 02 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/