[Python-Dev] PEP 384 accepted

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Fri Dec 3 03:14:21 CET 2010

> even without having any changes in distutils it would make sense to know if an
> extension can be built with the restricted ABI, so maybe it is better to defer
> any changes to the extension soname, and provide a check for an extension if it
> conforms to the restricted ABI, even if the extension still uses the python
> version specific soname.

Python’s setup.py has an example in Martin’s branch:

  ext = Extension('xxlimited', ['xxlimited.c'],
                  define_macros=[('Py_LIMITED_API', 1)])

<http://codereview.appspot.com/3262043/patch/1/68>

This is possible with today’s distutils.  I don’t know if it’s enough to
build stable-ABI-conformant extension modules.

Regards