[Python-Dev] r87010 - in python/branches/py3k: Doc/library/subprocess.rst Lib/subprocess.py Lib/test/test_subprocess.py

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sat Dec 4 19:14:28 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Sat,  4 Dec 2010 10:10:44 +0100 (CET)
> gregory.p.smith <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
> > Author: gregory.p.smith
> > Date: Sat Dec  4 10:10:44 2010
> > New Revision: 87010
> >
> > Log:
> > issue7213 + issue2320: Cause a DeprecationWarning if the close_fds
> argument is
> > not passed to subprocess.Popen as the default value will be changing in a
> > future Python to the safer and more often desired value of True.
>
> That doesn't seem to be a good idea under Windows, is it?
>
> (“Note that on Windows, you cannot set *close_fds* to true and
> also redirect the standard handles by setting *stdin*, *stdout* or
> *stderr*.”)

Regardless of what platform you are on I think the warning makes sense, it
was just worded too strongly.  It is asking people to be explicit with
close_fds.  Explicitly setting close_fds=False when that is desired is good.

I modified the docs and warning message to just say that the default
close_fds behavior will change in the future without specifying exactly what
it will be.  It could make sense for the default to be a soft-True on
windows that changes behavior if any of the std handles are set if that
matches what users expect and find easiest.  We may want to reconsider its
entire future in the face of the new pass_fds parameter, etc.  Those are 3.3
decisions.

-gps