[Python-Dev] Repo frozen for 3.2

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 00:45:33 CET 2010

On 06/12/2010 21:02, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Fred Drake wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Raymond Hettinger
>> <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> We really ought to stop with the SafeFoo naming convention.
>>> It is only descriptive to the person who wrote the class or function,
>>> not to the user who will immediately wonder, "safe from what?"
>> Safe from bad vampire movies, of course!
>>
>> I'd not recognize the current Safe* class names as a pattern; there
>> are currently two in the py3k trunk:
>>
>>     configparser.SafeConfigParser
>>         -- very much a poor name
>>
>>     xmlrpc.client.SafeTransport
>>         -- perhaps should have been SSLTransport or HTTPSTransport
>>
>> I agree the "Safe" prefix isn't meaningful.
> IIRC, pprint has a safe_repr() and string.Template has safe_substitute()
> and pydoc has a safe import.
>
> Never new there was so much danger in the standard library :-)

What would you name those functions instead?

(SafeConfigParser is a naff name and only needed because ConfigParser is
broken.)

Michael

> Raymond

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.