[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:32:27 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> That said, while I think Vinay's suggested "handler of last resort"
>> solution is a good one and something we should be doing for 3.2, I'm
>> also happy to let the idea bake for at least a few weeks.
>
> I agree on the baking part, since it will allow time for any drawbacks to be
> spotted or better solutions found. There are also the questions of what level
> and format to use for the handler of last resort, before it can actually be
> implemented.

As a starting point, I'd say warnings and above, no formatting (i.e.
just the message). To minimise bikeshedding, I'd like to be guided by
the idea that this is a more configurable alternative to printing
directly to stderr, but in the absence of application level
configuration, you wouldn't be able to tell which approach the library
was using just by looking at the program output.

Cheers,
Nick.