[Python-Dev] API for the new sysconfig module

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 01:31:43 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know why this needed a separate module and so many accessor functions?
> ISTM it mostly could have been reduced to single call returning a nested dictionary.

Tarek will likely answer for himself, but I believe it is a matter of
providing like-for-like replacements of existing distutils APIs,
specifically:
http://docs.python.org/dev/distutils/apiref.html#module-distutils.sysconfig

The old way required source code available ability at runtime, the new
sysconfig module captures everything it needs at build time.

Cheers,
Nick.