[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Fri Dec 10 05:24:33 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Indeed - I was very surprised to find just now that calling
> > "logging.warn('Whatever')" is not the same as doing "log =
> > logging.getLogger(); log.warn('Whatever')".
>
> Don't know why you'd be surprised: it's been that way since logging was
> added to
> Python, and the logging.debug() etc. are documented as convenience methods
> for
> casual use in throwaway scripts, interactive sessions etc. The convenience
> is in
> that you don't need to specify a logger (the root logger is used) and that
> basicConfig() is called for you.

Hahaha. :)  Well, I won't be suggesting to anyone at work that we throw away
our entire bazillion line codebase just because all of it happily relies on
logging.{debug,info,warn,error,exception} functions and all log messages go
through a single root logger.

I'd argue that anyone using a multi-logger hierarchy has already implemented
overkill and that the default for anyone wanting to log something should be
to simply call the above functions directly from the logging module.

This simplistic easy usage somewhat echo's Glenn's comment on this thread
about logging seeming way to daunting as presented today.  It needn't be.

-gps