[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 12:52:27 CET 2010

Glenn Linderman <v+python <at> g.nevcal.com> writes:

>     the logger.  Does basicConfig give that control?  I don't know, the
>     first 8% of the logger documentation don't tell me that, they only
>     give me a canned example (actually 3) without explanation of its
>     full function.  Someday I'll read more.  Until then, basicConfig is
>     opaque: I know only three incantations for using it, and not even
>     any surety that they can be mixed, or that it can be called more
>     than once in the same program.

You've made some helpful observations about improving the logging documentation.
I'm grateful to you for those and would like to incorporate your feedback. But I
feel you're making somewhat heavy weather about basicConfig() and the "8%". It's
just 20 lines of code and not especially complicated code at that. It would
probably take you less time to look at that code than to post again about how
little information there is in the top 8% of the logging documentation, I think
you've got your point across. Here are a couple of hopefully useful links about
basicConfig():

http://docs.python.org/library/logging.html#logging.basicConfig

>From the source code for 2.7.1, docstring followed by the code:

http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release27-maint/Lib/logging/__init__.py?revision=87157&view=markup#basicConfig

I will try to incorporate more basic examples at the top of the documentation,
but surely you don't want me to add more verbiage about basicConfig when your
overall feeling is that there's too much documentation?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip