[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:51:06 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2010 04:28 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
>
>> Actually if we're to change things to print INFO to stdout and WARNING+ to
>> stderr,
>
> ACK!  That would be an awful default -- stdout belongs to the
> application, not to "meta" stuff like logging, which should only go to
> stderr.  Much better to document the "how-to" for setting up something
> like that than to make it a default.

Don't worry, that isn't going to happen. Vinay was just responding to
something he thought I was suggesting. I wasn't really, but I can
understand someone getting that impression (as I was using that
behaviour as my running example of "so just what *is* involved if an
applications wants to configure logging like that?").

Cheers,
Nick.