[Python-Dev] futures API

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 07:05:38 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2010, at 6:33 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it still unclear why it is there? Maybe you could propose some
>>> additional
>>> documentation.
>>
>> Did you get my question the other day as to whether a
>> weakref.WeakKeySet might be a better choice? I believe you would be
>> able to get rid of the periodic sweep for dead references if you did
>> that, and I didn't spot any obvious downsides.
>
> No I didn't, sorry! Could you resent it if it has more details then the
> paragraph above?

There wasn't much more detail, as there actually isn't a great deal to
the idea. This was the main comment in the previous email:

"It seems to me that using WeakSet would mean you could get rid of
_remove_dead_thread_references altogether (the implicit callbacks
would handle that part), and then a set() call in _python_exit would
give you concrete references to work with for cleanup purposes."

Cheers,
Nick.