[Python-Dev] API for the new sysconfig module

Stefan Krah stefan-usenet at bytereef.org
Sun Dec 12 15:37:03 CET 2010

Lukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:
> Wiadomość napisana przez Raymond Hettinger w dniu 2010-12-11, o godz. 22:18:
>
>     Right.  I missed that it was already in 2.7.
>     So, now we're stuck with it, forever.
>
> Why not deprecate it for 3.2 (easy since it's probably not yet used anywhere
> anyway, even in 2.7) and introduce sys.sysconfig. I really like that much
> better than Java-like accessor functions.

When I use sysconfig, I just want to get things done as quickly and painlessly
as possible. The API suits me just fine (in fact, I find it one of the APIs
that are easy to remember).

Given that sysconfig will always contain a certain amount of hackery and
will always change to accommodate new systems, I'd prefer that it remains
a standalone module.

Stefan Krah