[Python-Dev] logging doc broken

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 11:21:18 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:20 AM, K. Richard Pixley <rich at noir.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure where to report this but the online doc appears to be
> mismatched to python-2.6.5 for the logging module.
>
> Specifically, for a dir of an instance of a LogRecord, I'm seeing:
>
> ['__doc__', '__init__', '__module__', '__str__', 'args', 'created',
> 'exc_info', 'exc_text', 'filename', 'funcName', 'getMessage', 'levelname',
> 'levelno', 'lineno', 'module', 'msecs', 'msg', 'name', 'pathname',
> 'process', 'processName', 'relativeCreated', 'thread', 'threadName']
>
> while the documentation lists a different set of attributes including "lvl".

As discussed on this list recently, the logging documentation can
unfortunately give the impression that the attributes of the log
record are the same as the arguments to the log record constructor.
This is not the case - the actual list of attributes can be found in
the table showing the useful LogRecord attributes that are available
to formatters (and filters) when processing records:
http://docs.python.org/library/logging#formatter-objects

Vinay is currently working on updates to the logging documentation,
and this is one of the things that is likely to change (with the table
of attributes moved to the LogRecord section and referenced from the
sections on Formatter and Filter objects).

Regards,
Nick.