[Python-Dev] Issue #8863 adds a new PYTHONNOFAULTHANDLER environment variable

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 19:55:00 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
..
> In any case, this is coming pretty late; beta 2 is scheduled for this
> weekend, and even if this is something that only kicks in when all hope
> is lost anyway, it is a new feature.  I should like to hear approval
> from a few more devs before I will let this go into 3.2.

I am -1 on the feature as written.  I would be -0 if it did not
install signal handlers by default and even better was implemented in
a separate module, not in core.

This feature is similar to the one that is implemented by R and with
R, it was always a problem when R was embedded as a library.  It has
always been a welcome feature of Python that its core did not mess
with the application global state.

Before this is approved, I would like to see a discussion of the
consequences for embedded Python and particularly for the case when
there are multiple interpreters in the same process.

I think it would be best to start with this feature as an library
module or even as a 3rd party add-on and see how useful it will be
found in the wild.