[Python-Dev] Issue #8863 adds a new PYTHONNOFAULTHANDLER environment variable

Martin (gzlist) gzlist at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 20 18:31:24 CET 2010

On 20/12/2010, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On 19/12/2010 23:02, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> I don't think that kill() is available on Windows.

Can just use raise instead.

But, is any of this change valid on Windows?

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/xdkz3x12>
"The SIGILL, SIGSEGV, and SIGTERM signals are not generated under
Windows NT. They are included for ANSI compatibility."

And the last signal this concerns is explicitly skipped in the tests
on the latest patch under windows with the note "SIGFPE cannot be
catched on Windows". Signals are a posix compatibility hack on win32,
they're unlikely to do what you want.

> Thanks to Brian Curtin there is now an os.kill() on Windows, but it
> doesn't handle the full range of signals.

Which uses GenerateConsoleCtrlEvent and is completely the wrong thing.

Martin