[Python-Dev] Issue #8863 adds a new PYTHONNOFAULTHANDLER?environment variable

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Mon Dec 20 20:01:33 CET 2010

Victor Stinner <vstinner at edenwall.com> wrote:
> Le lundi 20 décembre 2010 12:08:35, Stefan Krah a écrit :
> > Another test is hanging indefinitely (Ubuntu 64-bit):
> >
> > $ ./python Lib/test/crashers/nasty_eq_vs_dict.py
> > [hanging with no output]
>
> Oh, I understood. I always test with Python compiled using --with-pydebug.
> With pydebug, a segfault occurs. Without pydebug, there is an unlimited loop.

I'll open a feature request for more reliable segfaults. ;)

Still, on FreeBSD-8.0 the patch does not produce a traceback and also
appears to change the signal:

[without the patch]
$ ./python Lib/test/crashers/compiler_recursion.py
Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)
$ echo $?
139

[with the patch]
$ ./python Lib/test/crashers/compiler_recursion.py
Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)
$ echo $?
132

Stefan Krah