[Python-Dev] Search-friendly shortcuts for Windows?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 22 03:39:05 CET 2010

On 12/21/2010 7:01 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de>  wrote:
>>> Given the changing dynamics of the desktop launch menus to better
>>> support direct access as an alternative to hierarchical navigation,
>>> would it be reasonable to consider including the major version number
>>> in the start menu shortcut names?
>>>
>>> (Question is mainly for Martin, obviously, but I'm also curious if
>>> anyone else has encountered the same thing)
>>
>> I can't see anything wrong with that, but I'm terrible with wording.
>> So somebody would have to spell out the exact wording that each of
>> the start menu items should have. In doing so, also take into
>> consideration that some people install 32-bit and 64-bit versions
>> simultaneously.
>
> I put my initial proposal (reproduced below) at
> http://bugs.python.org/issue10747. I'll let this thread run a bit and
> see if there are any substantial improvements suggested, or valid
> objections raised (I tried to pre-empt the length issue by pushing the
> typically least important information to the end). I also considered
> using the x86 and x64 abbreviations, but being explicit seemed
> clearer.
>
> Shortcuts currently installed:
> - Python (command line)
> - Python Manuals
> - Module Docs
> - IDLE (Python GUI)
> - Uninstall Python
>
> Initial proposal for 32 bit builds:
> - Python 3.2 (command line - 32 bit)
> - Python 3.2 Manuals
> - Python 3.2 Docs Server (pydoc - 32 bit)
     Python 3.2 PyDoc Server (32 bit)
is shorter. But since pydoc.py is has no 'bitness',

     PyDoc Server (Python 3.2 - 32 bit)
is more in line with below

> - IDLE (Python 3.2 GUI - 32 bit)

I think of IDLE as an IDE, not a GUI, but IDLE IDE does not work too
well. In any case, it also has no 'bitness'.

     IDLE GUI (Python 3.2 - 32 bit)

--
Terry Jan Reedy