[Python-Dev] Loggers in the stdlib and logging configuration APIs

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Dec 28 18:14:41 CET 2010

On 12/28/2010 4:16 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> How does that sound?

Sounds pretty rational, overall.

If the leave_enabled flag can be turned on/off by the application, then
I agree the arms race is unlikely.

I didn't dig through the logging docs to discover if there is an API
that returns a list of currently known loggers.... such that an
application could easily discover the current set.  It would be nice to
have such a thing, in any case, but especially in the presence of the
leave_enabled flag.

I also wasn't sure whether or not the "default disable" applied to
future loggers or only preexisting loggers, but you clarified that it
only applies to preexisting ones, so such an API as above would suffice
to discover any that might need special handling at xxxConfig time.

I hope somewhere in the parts of the documentation I haven't read yet,
that there is some verbiage that discusses the fact that loggers created
after xxxConfig time and not configured by it, are enabled by default?
And the concept that applications that use logging should be prepared to
handle messages that they haven't seen before in some manner.