[Python-Dev] Backport troubles with mercurial

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 15:29:28 CET 2010

2010/12/29 David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc
> <amauryfa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/12/29 David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> The easiest way I found to emulate git cherry-pick (which does exactly
>>> what you want) with hg is to use import/export commands:
>>> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CommunicatingChanges
>>>
>>> It is indeed quite a pain to use in my experience, because you cannot
>>> easily refer to the original commit the cherry pick is coming from
>>> (i.e. no equivalent to git cherry-pick -x), and the conflict
>>> resolution is quite dumb.
>>
>> This is precisely why I proposed a specific example.
>> Which precise steps do you take?
>> How much typing or manual copy/paste is required for this very simple case?
>> Can you do the merge in less than 10 minutes?
>
> I don't know in this specific case. As I said, when I have to use hg,
> that's the technique I use, and you get the issue you mention. That's
> a hg limitation AFAICS.

Yes, Georg identified three things that "hg transplant" should do better:
- an option to not commit
- a way to add conflict markers in the source instead of the .rej file
  (In this case, it may be just as easy to use the standard merge tools)
- somehow share the "transplants" cache file between clones.

> sometimes the people who become the most vocal proponents of the new
> tool were the most sceptic ones before.

I really was not sceptic before, and I certainly don't want to become one!
But yesterday I was blocked the whole afternoon by something
I still call an routine task with most other SCMs; and the only answer I
get is "that's right, it's a pain"

hg will certainly impose a change in the way we develop Python.
I'm not sure everybody understands the consequences.

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc