[Python-Dev] Issue #10348: concurrent.futures doesn't work on BSD

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Dec 30 16:40:14 CET 2010

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:04:16 +0100
Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:

> Some answers Philip gave already. Knowing all these things would let us decide whether switching the module off on systems that don't meet the requirements is okay and can we get away with just documenting how to make it work.

I really don't think it is our job to maintain a list of OS/versions
which work and don't work.

At best, multiprocessing when imported could try to create a single
semaphore, and raise an ImportError if such creating fails (which it
does, IIUC, under some old FreeBSDs without a specific kernel tweak).

> ISTM concurrent.futures was included a bit too early in the distribution.
> The module has problems not only on BSD [1].

I'm not sure concurrent.futures is the culprit, rather than
multiprocessing itself (or perhaps even some core Python functionality).
Actually, the threading-based part of concurrent.futures probably works
fine.

Regards

Antoine.