[Python-Dev] Fixed URL to 2.6 documentation

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Feb 4 21:35:30 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 00:57, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm writing a module for current Python 2.6 and I would like to
> reference documentation for Python 2.6, because I am not sure if
> behavior won't be changed in further series. So far I can link only
> to:
>
> http://docs.python.org/ (stable, 2.6)
> http://docs.python.org/dev/ (2.7)
> http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/
>
> When stable changes to 2.7 my reference will point to the different
> version than I was meant when writing comment. It is possible to link
> to docs for minor 2.6.4 http://www.python.org/doc/2.6.4/ but I would
> like to link to latest version of docs in 2.6 branch that may not yet
> found way into official minor release.

As you said, something in 2.6 could change, so linking to a 2.6.x doc link
instead of a specific version could be misleading in your docs if a change
did occur that you were not aware about.

But since micro releases rarely have anything change in them you should be
able to link to practically any release and feel comfortable in knowing that
things should stay the same through all of 2.6.x.

-Brett