[Python-Dev] PEP 3147: PYC Repository Directories

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:37:47 CET 2010

Brett Cannon wrote:
> If we add a new method like get_filenames(), I would suggest going
> with Antoine's suggestion of a tuple for __compiled__ (allowing
> loaders to indicate that they actually constructed the runtime
> bytecode from multiple cached files on-disk).
>

> Does code exist out there where people are constructing bytecode from
>  multiple files for a single module?

I'm quite prepared to call YAGNI on that idea and just return a 2-tuple
of source filename and compiled filename.

The theoretical use case was for a module that was partially compiled to
native code in advance, so it's "compiled" version was a combination of
a shared library and a bytecode file. It isn't really all that
compelling an idea - it would be easy enough for a loader to pick one or
the other and stick that in __compiled__.

Cheers,
Nick.