[Python-Dev] PEP 3147: PYC Repository Directories

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Feb 7 18:58:24 CET 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 01:06 PM, Ron Adam wrote:

>With a single cache directory, we could have an option to force writing
>bytecode to a desired location.  That might be useful on it's own for
>creating runtime bytecode only installations for installers.

One important reason for wanting to keep the bytecode cache files colocated
with the source files is that I want to be able to continue to manipulate
$PYTHONPATH to control how Python finds its modules.  With a single
system-wide cache directory that won't be easy.  E.g. $PYTHONPATH might be
hacked to find the source file you expect, but how would that interact with
how Python finds its cache files?   I'm strongly in favor of keeping the cache
files as close to the source they were generated from as possible.

-Barry