[Python-Dev] Python 2.6.5

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 9 23:20:59 CET 2010

>>> I've changed this issue to release blocker. What are the other issues?
>> For a bug fix release, it should (IMO) be a release blocker *only* if
>> this is a regression in the branch or some recent bug fix release over
>> some earlier bug fix release.
>
> As far as I remember, I think we have had release blockers which weren't
> regressions.

Of course, the release manager can always declare anything a release
blocker, so that may have been the reason (I don't recall the details).
Also, on a feature release, many more kinds of blockers may exist (e.g.
for features that aren't complete yet). It simply may also have been
that nobody argued in favor of process. I know that I have, from time to
time, unblocked release blockers because I thought that they shouldn't
have blocked the release out of principle.

IOW, I feel that release blockers should only be used if something
really bad would happen that can be prevented by not releasing. If
nothing actually gets worse by the release, the release shouldn't be
blocked.

Regards,
Martin