[Python-Dev] PEP 385 progress report

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 13 07:38:15 CET 2010

> I personally like 2to3 in a separate repo because it fits well with my
> view that 2to3 is an extra application that happens to also be
> distributed with python.

But isn't that just a theoretical property? I know that's how 2to3
started, but who, other than the committers, actually accesses the 2to3
repo?

I would be much more supportive of that view if there had been a single
release of 2to3 at any point in time (e.g. to PyPI). Alas, partially due
to me creating lib2to3, you actually couldn't release it as an extra
application and run it on 2.6 or 2.7, as the builtin lib2to3 would take
precedence over the lib2to3 bundled with the application.

Regards,
Martin