[Python-Dev] PEP 385 progress report

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Feb 14 00:22:51 CET 2010

On Feb 13, 2010, at 1:43 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> 2010/2/13 Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl>:
>> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:14, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>> Does hg support an equivalent of 'bzr split'?
>>>
>>> % bzr split --help
>>> Purpose: Split a subdirectory of a tree into a separate tree.
>>> Usage:   bzr split TREE

>>>  --usage        Show usage message and options.
>>>  -v, --verbose  Display more information.
>>>  -q, --quiet    Only display errors and warnings.
>>>  -h, --help     Show help message.

>>>  This command will produce a target tree in a format that supports
>>>  rich roots, like 'rich-root' or 'rich-root-pack'.  These formats cannot be
>>>  converted into earlier formats like 'dirstate-tags'.
>>>
>>>  The TREE argument should be a subdirectory of a working tree.  That
>>>  subdirectory will be converted into an independent tree, with its own
>>>  branch.  Commits in the top-level tree will not apply to the new subtree.
>>
>> Is that like a clone/branch of a subdir of the original repository? We
>> don't have what we usually call "narrow clones" yet (nor "shallow
>> clones", the other potentially useful form of partial clones). We do
>> have the convert extension, which allows you to create a new
>> repository from a subtree of an old repository, but it changes all the
>> hashes (and I don't know if we have a way to splice them back
>> together).
>
> It is not a partial clone, but rather similar to what you are
> referring to with the convert extension.

Right, that's what it sounds like.  I've used it on a bzr-svn converted repository to split a monolithic tree after Subversion->Bazaar conversion into separately managed subtrees.  Note that 'bzr join' is the inverse.  The interesting thing (both good and bad) is that after the split both subtrees have the full history of the original.

-Barry