[Python-Dev] Proposal for virtualenv functionality in Python

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Feb 19 22:18:33 CET 2010

At 01:49 PM 2/19/2010 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>I'm not sure how this should best work on Windows (without symlinks,
>and where things generally work differently), but I would hope if
>this idea is more visible that someone more opinionated than I would
>propose the appropriate analog on Windows.

You'd probably have to just copy pythonv.exe to an appropriate
directory, and have it use the configuration file to find the "real"
prefix.  At least, that'd be a relatively obvious way to do it, and
it would have the advantage of being symmetrical across platforms:
just copy or symlink pythonv, and make sure the real prefix is in
your config file.

(Windows does have "shortcuts" but I don't think that there's any way
for a linked program to know *which* shortcut it was launched from.)