[Python-Dev] Proposal for virtualenv functionality in Python

Dj Gilcrease digitalxero at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 22:49:07 CET 2010

I develop OpenRPG and 90% of our user base is on windows. We require
the user to install python and wxPython from msi because our app
supports GUI plugins so to ensure the user can use any plugin even if
it isnt prepackaged they need to have the full python and wxPython
installed.

We are working on changing the code around to work better with py2exe
& py2app. But I use virtual env on windows & linux to test multiple
py/wx combos that our app supports

On 2/19/10, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:18 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> At 01:49 PM 2/19/2010 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how this should best work on Windows (without symlinks, and
>>> where things generally work differently), but I would hope if this idea
>>> is
>>> more visible that someone more opinionated than I would propose the
>>> appropriate analog on Windows.
>>
>> You'd probably have to just copy pythonv.exe to an appropriate directory,
>> and have it use the configuration file to find the "real" prefix.  At
>> least,
>> that'd be a relatively obvious way to do it, and it would have the
>> advantage
>> of being symmetrical across platforms: just copy or symlink pythonv, and
>> make sure the real prefix is in your config file.
>>
>> (Windows does have "shortcuts" but I don't think that there's any way for
>> linked program to know *which* shortcut it was launched from.)
>
> Some recent discussion pointed out that vista and win7 ntfs actually
> supports symlinks.  the same question about determining where it was
> launched from may still hold there? (and we need this to work on xp).
>
> How often do windows users need something like virtualenv?  (Asking
> for experience from windows users of all forms here).  I personally
> can't imagine anyone that would ever use a system generic python
> install from a .msi unless they're just learning python.  I would hope
> people would already use py2exe or similar and include an entire
> CPython VM with their app with their own installer but as I really
> have nothing to do with windows these days I'm sure I'm wrong.
>
> What about using virtualenv with ironpython and jython?  does it make
> any sense in that context?  how do we make it not impossible for them
> to support?
>
> despite all the questions, I'm +1 on going ahead with a PEP and sprint
> discussions to figure out how to get it in for CPython 3.2 and 2.7.
>
> -gps

Dj Gilcrease
OpenRPG Developer
~~http://www.openrpg.com