[Python-Dev] Proposal for virtualenv functionality in Python

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sat Feb 20 04:39:49 CET 2010

On approximately 2/19/2010 1:18 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of P.J. Eby:
> At 01:49 PM 2/19/2010 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>> I'm not sure how this should best work on Windows (without symlinks,
>> and where things generally work differently), but I would hope if
>> this idea is more visible that someone more opinionated than I would
>> propose the appropriate analog on Windows.
>
> You'd probably have to just copy pythonv.exe to an appropriate
> directory, and have it use the configuration file to find the "real"
> prefix.  At least, that'd be a relatively obvious way to do it, and it
> would have the advantage of being symmetrical across platforms: just
> copy or symlink pythonv, and make sure the real prefix is in your
> config file.
>
> (Windows does have "shortcuts" but I don't think that there's any way
> for a linked program to know *which* shortcut it was launched from.)

No automatic way, but shortcuts can include parameters, not just the
program name.  So a parameter could be --prefix as was suggested in
another response, but for a different reason.

Windows also has hard-links for files.

A lot of Windows tools are completely ignorant of both of those linking
concepts... resulting in disks that look to be over capacity when they
are not, for example.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/