[Python-Dev] Update xml.etree.ElementTree for Python 2.7 and 3.2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 20 13:08:39 CET 2010

> Actually this should not be a fork of the upstream library.
> The goal is to improve stability and predictability of the ElementTree
> implementations in the stdlib, and to fix some bugs.
> I thought that it is better to backport the fixes from upstream than to
> fix each bug separately in the stdlib.
>
> I try to get some clear assessment from Fredrik.
> If it is accepted, I will probably cut some parts which are in the upstream
> library, but which are not in the API 1.2. If it is not accepted, it is bad
> news for the "xml.etree" users...

Not sure about the timing, but in case you have not got the message: we
should rather drop ElementTree from the standard library than integrate
unreleased changes from an experimental upstream repository.

> It is qualified as a "best effort" to get something better for ET. Nothing else.

Unfortunately, it hurts ET users if it ultimately leads to a fork, or to
a removal of ET from the standard library.

Please be EXTREMELY careful. I urge you not to act on this until
mid-March (which is the earliest time at which Fredrik has said he may
have time to look into this).

Regards,
Martin