[Python-Dev] 'languishing' status for the tracker

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Feb 22 23:41:35 CET 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:28:41 +0000, Florent Xicluna <florent.xicluna at gmail.com> wrote:
> R. David Murray <rdmurray <at> bitdance.com> writes:
>
> > I believe Brett mentioned the 'languishing' status for the tracker in
> > passing in his notes from the language summit.
>
> I see a bunch of existing "Status / Resolution" choices.
>     "open" / "later"
>     "open" / "postponed"
>     "open" / "remind"
>
> I did not find any documentation about them in both places:
>  * http://wiki.python.org/moin/TrackerDocs/ "Tracker documentation"
>  * http://www.python.org/dev/workflow/ "Issue workflow"
>
> Maybe these 2 documentation entry points could be merged and improved, first.
> They are not available on the same menu, and there's no cross-link between them:
>  * "Issue workflow" from http://www.python.org/dev/
>  * "Tracker documentation" from http://bugs.python.org/

There is a plan to improve the dev docs, and to merge a bunch of stuff
that is scattered here and there into them.  Brett will presumably add
this item to his his punch list if it isn't already on it; thanks for
pointing it out.

It's a good question what the difference between 'later' and 'postponed'
is.   I'm guessing that 'later' is equivalent to 'languishing' (ie: its
a good idea but nobody wants to do it right now), while 'postponed' is
for something that needs to wait until the next release is out the door,
or something like that.

There is exactly one open ticket with 'remind' set (by Skip, issue
1374063), and 10 closed tickets.  I'll review the closed tickets and move
them to languishing if appropriate.  I suspect remind is not a particularly
useful resolution value.  It would probably be better as a keyword.

So I would suggest removing the resolutions 'later' and 'remind', and
adding a 'remind' keyword if anyone speaks up as wanting it.

Postponed I think is useful for the 'wait for next release' case on open
tickets, although again it might be more useful as a keyword (it isn't
really a 'resolution').

--David