[Python-Dev] Platform extension for distutils on other interpreters than CPython

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:27:53 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I would like to have a feature on platform module (or sys or
>> somewhere) that can tell distutils or distutils2 that this platform
>> (be it PyPy or Jython) is not able to compile any C module. The
>> purpose of this is to make distutils bail out in more reasonable
>> manner than a compilation error in case this module is not going to
>> work on anything but CPython.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> +1
>
> I think we could have a global variable in sys, called "dont_compile",
> distutils would look at
> before it tris to compile stuff, exactly like how it does for pyc file
> (sys.dont_write_bytecode)

Or... wait : we already know if we are using CPython, or Jython
reading sys.platform.

So I could simply not trigger the compilation in case sys.platform is
one of the CPythons
and keep in distutils side a list of the platform names, Extension is
incompatible with.

That makes me wonder : why don't we have a sys.implementation variable ?
(cython/jython/pypi), since we can have several values for cython in
sys.platform

Tarek