[Python-Dev] Add alternate float formatting styles to new-style formatting: allowed under moratorium?

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Wed Feb 24 14:13:16 CET 2010

http://bugs.python.org/issue7094 proposes adding "alternate" formatting
[1] to floating point new-style formatting (float.__format__ and
probably Decimal.__format__). I'd like to add this to make automated
translation from %-formatting strings to str.format strings easier.

Would this be allowed under the moratorium? I think it falls under the
Case-by-Case Exemptions section, but let me know what you think.

Eric.

[1] Alternate formatting for floats modifies how trailing zeros and
decimal points are treated. See
http://docs.python.org/dev/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting-operations