[Python-Dev] __file__

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Feb 27 02:13:38 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 15:35, Glenn Linderman
<v+python at g.nevcal.com<v%2Bpython at g.nevcal.com>
> wrote:

> On approximately 2/26/2010 2:55 PM, came the following characters from the
> keyboard of Brett Cannon:
>

>>    Maybe Greg's and my response to the mention of dropping this feature
>>    is too strong -- after all we're both dinosaurs. And maybe the
>>    developers who want the feature can write their own loader.
>>

>> We could also provide if necessary.
>>

> So if the implementation stores .pyc by default in a version-specific
> place, then it seems there are only two things needed to make a python
> byte-code only distribution...
>
> 1) rename all the .pyc to .py
> 2) packaging
>
> When a .pyc is renamed to .py, Python (3.1 at least) recognizes and uses
> it... I assume by design, rather than accident, but I don't know the
> history.

This does not work for me (nor should it):

> touch temp.py

> python3 -c "import temp"

> rm temp.py

> mv temp.pyc temp.py

> python3 -c "import temp"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "temp.py", line 2
SyntaxError: Non-UTF-8 code starting with '\x95' in file temp.py on line 2,
but no encoding declared; see http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/ for
details

-Brett