[Python-Dev] Another version of Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 27 02:43:37 CET 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 04:53:36 am Michael Foord wrote:
> On 26/02/2010 17:26, skip at pobox.com wrote:
> >      >>  Â  Â http://www.staringispolite.com/likepython/
> >
> >      Simon>  I'm reminded of LOLPython:<http://bit.ly/271rt>.
> >
> > You know, I'm thinking while both are obviously tongue-in-cheek we
> > should probably include them on the /dev/implementations page of
> > python.org, probably in a separate section at the end of the page.
>
> They're certainly fun - but they seem to be fly-by-night projects
> (i.e. unlikely to be maintained in the long run). The risk is that we
> end up with even more outdated links / material on the website.
>
> Anyway, if the consensus is that it would be good to link to them
> then I will update the page (which could already do with some
> updating by the looks of it).

For what it's worth, I have compiled a list of between 14 and 27
implementations of Python, depending on how conservative you are at
defining "implementation".

I then went to the wiki and discovered my list was nowhere near
complete. Obviously this information is extensive and rapidly changing,
so I think it would be better to have the current implementation page
be fairly minimal but link to the wiki for more details:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/implementation
http://www.python.org/dev/implementations/

--
Steven D'Aprano