[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jan 4 01:47:56 CET 2010

Hi Martin, Happy New Year,

>>> Requires-Dist: pywin32 (>1.0); sys.platform == 'win32'
>>
>>   Requires-Dist: [Windows] pywin32 1.0+
>>
>> That's simpler, shorter, and less ambiguous. Easier to
>> parse for package managers.
>
> Don't you want the PEP to complete? Why this bike-shedding?

Well, I'm just helping out by pointing out some simpler ways
as Tarek asked me. I was only answering his question. I was out
celebrating so it took longer to reply than normal.

Bike-Shedding ? Me ? which bikeshed? wanting simple?

Anyway, I'm just reading the PEPs and commenting. If there
are some alterations that can be done, lets discuss them.

> I can agree it's shorter.
> ..

Cool.

What I'd really like is a 'Code-Repository:' keyword
so that we can install programs/libraries directly into
a system.

I feel that this would really simplify the packaging
landscape, making it much easier for the scientific
community and others to do python software installs.

This would allow us to perphaps have something even
*more modern* than CPAN.

So yes, getting PEP-345 right is important to me.

Have a nice day.

David