[Python-Dev] Suggestion: new 3 release with backwards compatibility

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Jan 5 17:50:15 CET 2010

On 05/01/2010 16:10, Juan Fernando Herrera J. wrote:
> How about a new python 3 release with (possibly partial) backwards
> compatibility with 2.6? I'm a big 3 fan, but I'm dismayed at the way
> major software hasn't been ported to it. I'm eager to use 3, but
> paradoxically, the 3 release makes me rather stuck with 2.6. Excuse me
> if this has been suggested in the past.

I don't know about other developers, but I certainly expected Python 3
adoption to take a few years due to libraries only gradually making the
jump. I also expected there to be nervousness and pain around the
migration as well.

I think in fact that libraries *are* migrating and there are lots of
encouraging signs. As a community we need to do all we can to promote
Python 3 adoption, but I don't think there is much reason to be worried
(or complacent for that matter).

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/