[Python-Dev] Question over splitting unittest into a package

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:24:59 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Martin (gzlist) <gzlist at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick response.
>>
>> On 30/12/2009, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> but maybe a
>> discussion could start about a new, less hacky, way of doing the same
>>

> I am strongly -1 for modifying the classes in «traditional» unittest
> module [2]_ (except that I am strongly +1 for the package structure
> WITHOUT TOUCHING anything else ...) , and the more I think about it I
> am more convinced ... but anyway, this not a big deal (and in the end
> what I think is not that relevant either ... :o). So ...

IOW, if I had all the freedom to implement it, after the pkg structure
I'd do something like :

{{{
#!python

class TestResult:
    # Everything just the same
    def _is_relevant_tb_level(self, tb):
        return '__unittest' in tb.tb_frame.f_globals

class BetterTestResult(TestResult):
    # Further code ... maybe ;o)
    #
    def _is_relevant_tb_level(self, tb):
        # This or anything else you might want to do ;o)
        #
        globs = tb.tb_frame.f_globals
        is_relevant =  '__name__' in globs and \
            globs["__name__"].startswith("unittest")
        del globs
        return is_relevant
}}}

that's what inheritance is for ;o) ... but quite probably that's not
gonna happen, just a comment .

--
Regards,

Olemis.