[Python-Dev] topics I plan to discuss at the language summit

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Jan 10 21:25:29 CET 2010

Michael has given me the hg transition/stdlib time slot at the language
summit this year. In regards to that I plan to lead a discussion on:

* where we are at w/ the Hg transition (Dirkjan should be there and I did a
blog post on this topic recently:
http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2010/01/where-hg-transition-stands.html)
* argparse (PEP 389)
* brief mention on still wanting to break out the stdlib from CPython
* an official policy on extension modules? (i.e. must have a pure Python
implementation which can mean a ctypes implementation unless given an
explicit waiver)

That's everything from a stdlib perspective. I have half-baked ideas, but
nothing concrete enough to bring up unless people really want to discuss
stuff like how to potentially standardize module deprecation warnings, etc.

In terms of me personally, I do plan to bring up at some point during the
summit these points which don't squarely fit during my time slot:

* an official unofficial policy on how new proposed features should come to
us (i.e. working code to python-ideas with a shell of a PEP that includes
abstract and motivation -> hashed out PEP to python-dev -> pronouncement)
* any changes needed to the issue tracker to help with the workflow? (stage
field seems like a failed experiment and we now have several effective
triage people who can help w/ guiding changes)

If there is something missing from the stdlib discussion that you think
should be brought up at the summit let me know. And if there is something
here you want to discuss before the summit let me know and I can start a
separate thread on it.

-Brett