[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 2.7 alpha 2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jan 11 00:02:01 CET 2010

> I propose that the 2.x branch be treated like 2.x.y branches: as
> long as there is sufficient volunteer labour, it should continue to
> live.  In order to avoid wasted development effort, it would be
> prudent to announce that unless a 2.8 release manager steps up,
> whatever is committed to the 2.x branch after the 2.7 release may
> never get released.

I think it's more difficult than that. It also takes developer effort
to *commit* to the trunk. So if the trunk continued to live, would
it still be ok if I closed a 2.x feature request as "won't fix", or
only committed the new feature to the 3.x branch?

As for old branches: they *don't* live in the way you claim (i.e.
remain open with changes potentially just not released). Instead,
at some point, they are frozen to bug-fix only, then to security-fix
only, and then to no change at all.

Regards,
Martin