[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 2.7 alpha 2

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Mon Jan 11 02:44:57 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:09:08PM -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:
> I don't think ending the 2.x series at 2.7 makes it look bad
> compared to 3.2; it's simply the end of a development line like
> any other software project. I suspect 2.7 will have a protracted
> bugfix window because so much code runs on 2.x exclusively at the
> moment.

I would guess over 99% of all Python code written doesn't run on
Python 3.  Given that, I think it is premature to close the door on
new major versions of Python 2.x. Also, we as a project should be
careful not to present the image that Python 2.x will not be
supported in the future.

> If there really is an outcry on this we can re-visit the issue,
> but as of right now we need to move forward at some point and 2.7
> seems like that good point.

I think that's bad PR.  If I had a successful product, I would not
announce its end of life just to see how many customers scream and
then decide if I should devote more resources to continue
maintaining it.

IMHO, the release notes should say something like:

     After the Python 2.7 release, the focus of Python development
     will be on Python 3.  There will continue to be maintainance
     releases of Python 2.x.

trying-to-head-off-the-python-is-dying-meme-ly y'rs Neil