[Python-Dev] topics I plan to discuss at the language summit

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:33:06 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 04:20, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Le Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:57:46 -0600, Brian Curtin a écrit :
> >
> > For example, there are currently over
> > 1500 open issues with no stage set, some of which seemingly haven't been
> > read by anyone at all.
>
> I think most issues /have/ been read. It's just that for many of them,
> nobody is interested enough in or feels competent enough for fixing them.
>
> > Would a properly set stage field save issues from
> > falling into a black hole?
>
> I don't think this has anything to do with properly setting the stage
> field. We just have limited time and manpower. Perhaps one of our goals
> should be to reach out more to potential contributors.

Agreed, I didn't mean to place blame on the stage field, I just ran with how
I view that field since it was mentioned. When I'm thinking in "code-writing
developer mode" (tm), I'm more likely to go to issues which have a stage so
I know what I'm going into -- what needs to be worked on. When I'm in
project cleanup mode, I go by stageless issues -- what is necessary for this
to begin or end work. Maybe others work differently...software projects take
all kinds :-)

Anyways, sorry for the off-topic. If this is a summit worthy discussion,
cool.