[Python-Dev] PYTHON3PATH

Ralf Schmitt ralf at brainbot.com
Wed Jan 13 18:40:04 CET 2010

"R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> writes:

> Please review issue 2375 [1], which is an enhancement request to add a
> PYTHON3PATH environment variable.  Because we have elected to have both
> a python and a python3 command, I think this is an issue worth thinking
> about carefully to make sure we are serving the Python user community
> and easing the transition to python3.  It could be that "use virtualenv"
> is the best answer, but I feel we should think about it carefully to
> make sure that is really true.
>
> [1] http://bugs.python.org/issue2375

The first thing I got while trying to run a python3 prompt few days ago,
was an error. python3 tried to read my $PYTHONSTARTUP file, which used
print statements. people will have to run both python 2 and python 3
code at the same time. Using different environment variables will make
this easier.

- Ralf