[Python-Dev] Enhancing the shutil module

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Jan 18 20:28:47 CET 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:56:05 -0500, "Steve Steiner (listsin)" <listsin at integrateddevcorp.com> wrote:
> As much of a pain as it is to get new modules accepted, I agree that
> mixing archiving functions into shutil is not the right way to do it
> and that a separate archive_util module would make much more sense and
> would give a logical place to put any extensions to archive handling.

Looking at the source code and API for both shutil and archive_util, I
think that the archive_util methods fit into shutil.  shutil currently
wraps some standard library facilities with convenience functions
for operations you might otherwise perform at the shell command line using
OS facilities.  As far as I can tell, archive_util does the same, and
seems quite within the shutil mission of "high level file operations".

So +1 from me for putting these in shutil.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com
Business Process Automation - Network/Server Management - Routers/Firewalls