[Python-Dev] Bazaar branches available (again) on Launchpad

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jan 19 14:16:39 CET 2010

I've just updated the Launchpad mirrors for the 4 active Python branches,
trunk, py3k, 2.6, and 3.1.  These used to mirror the defunct Bazaar branches
on code.python.org but it's probably been 7 months or so since those were
regularly updated.  Now the Launchpad branches sync against the read-only
Subversion branches at http://svn.python.org, so they should remain up-to-date
(within the re-sync timeframe of about 4 hours).

This means you can once again use Bazaar to get local branches of Python, and
you can of course push your own branches to Launchpad.  I believe you can even
use the bzr-svn plugin to commit changes back to the Subversion master, though
I have not yet tried this.

To get a local branch, just do any of the following:

    % bzr branch lp:python (for trunk)
    % bzr branch lp:python/2.6
    % bzr branch lp:python/py3k
    % bzr branch lp:python/3.1

(It's fairly easy to create new mirrors for other Subversion branches,
e.g. Python 2.5; just drop me an email if you want them.)

If you're going to create a lot of branches you probably want to put them in a
shared repository.  E.g.

    % bzr init-repo pythonbzr
    % cd pythonbzr
    % bzr branch lp:python/py3k

Bazaar 2.0 or better is recommended.  For me, it took about 5m to check the
first branch out from Launchpad, and then about 30s or so for each subsequent
branch.

Enjoy,
-Barry