[Python-Dev] Mailing List archive corruption?

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue Jan 19 17:24:57 CET 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2010, at 03:50 PM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
>
>> When I look at the mailing list archive for python-dev, I see some
>> odd stuff at
>> the bottom of the page:
>>
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-January/thread.html#95232
>>
>> Anyone know what's happened?
>
> WTF?  I think the archives were recently regenerated, so there's
> probably a
> fubar there.  CC'ing the postmasters.

That happens if messages had unescaped "From" lines in the middle of
them.

No doubt, you've now broken every link anyone had ever made into the
python-dev archives, because now all the article numbers are
different. BTDT...unfortunately... Pipermail really is quite crappy,
sigh.

Anyhow, when I did that, I went back to a backup to get the original
article numbers, and edited the mbox file escaping From lines or
adding additional empty messages until the newly regenerated article
numbers matched the originals. I'd highly recommend going through that
painful process, since I suspect a *lot* of people have links to the
python-dev archive. Hope you have a backup (or can find caches on
google or archive.org or something).

James