[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration readiness (was: Taking over the Mercurial Migration)

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Thu Jul 1 15:51:06 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 14:52, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Primary concern is that will happen with central Subversion
> repository. There are a plenty of private tools and automated scripts
> that were written to work with central Subversion repository, so it is
> important that central Subversion repository continue to operate and
> be synchronized.
>
> However, PEP 385 "The Future of Subversion" [1] does not propose any
> way to keep Subversion repository in sync. "it will probably live on
> for a bit" phrase looks like Subversion will be immediately dead after
> switching.

It would certainly be possible to have snapshots of the hg repo be
committed into SVN, but I think people will actually notice sooner
that it's dead if we don't update it at all anymore.

> The second concern is workflow. Even after getting my hands dirty I
> still can't find the best solution for working with Mercurial copy of
> Python.

Mercurial is relatively flexible in that there are lots of ways you
can do this, and so I find that, certainly for the local parts of the
workflow (e.g. those that don't directly affect the repo that everyone
sees), I don't want to mandate a certain workflow. On the other hand,
there will certainly be documentation on a very basic workflow to get
people started. Inevitably, in order to get the most out of the tool,
people will have to investigate some different ways of doing things
(e.g., mq, which is one of my favorite workflows -- I'd probably
include a basic description of it in the docs for python-dev).

Cheers,

Dirkjan